A guide to services

We have a wide range of healthcare and children and family services.

See which service or professional is best to help you.

Self care

Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over-the-counter medicine from your pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. If you are still worried call NHS 111 or your GP.


If you think you need help urgently during the day or night you should call 111 before you go to any other health service. By calling 111 you will be directed straight away to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call, including from a mobile. You should call 111:

  • When you need help fast but it’s not life threatening.

  • When you think you need to go to Accident and Emergency or another NHS urgent care service.

  • When it’s outside of your GP’s surgery hours.

  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.

  • If you do not have a local GP to call.

For serious and life-threatening emergencies, call 999.


Your local pharmacist will know about most everyday health issues. They can suggest over-the-counter medicine or advise where may be best for you to get help. There are often pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late. If your child has a temperature which has not come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen see your GP.

To find a local pharmacy visit www.nhs.uk/service-search.

GP (Doctor)

You will need to register your child with a local GP as soon as possible after birth. Your GP can advise, give you the medicines you need and help if you need other specialist services. You will usually need to make an appointment. All GPs will see a child quickly if you are worried.

To find a local GP visit www.nhs.uk/service-search

Health visitor


Health visitors are registered nurses who have professional experience in child development and family health. They work as part of a team with community nursery nurses to promote good health and to help with the prevention of illness in line with the ‘Healthy Child Programme’. The health visiting team work with parents and carers with children under five, providing advice/support such as:

  • Help with feeding, behaviour, toilet training, sleep issues.

  • Advice on minor ailments and accident prevention.

  • Parenting skills.

  • Domestic violence and safeguarding.

  • Mental health (for infants, children and adults).

  • Nutrition, active play and obesity.

  • Immunisation advice.

  • Personal, social and emotional development.

  • Speech, language and communication.

When your baby is 10-14 days old, the health visitor will make a home visit. Then, when your baby is six weeks old, a member of the team will review your baby's growth and development either in clinic or at home. After this you will be invited to attend developmental reviews at a clinic or local children's centre when your child is 9-12 months old and 2-2½ years old.

Contact us, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) 9am-5pm
020 8770 5409
or email hcpadmin@sutton.gov.uk

Find us on Facebook

What does a health visitor do?

Children’s centres

These centres bring together a wide range of services for children from birth to five years and their families. They are sometimes called Sure Start chilren's centres. The centres provide services such as:

  • Health • Employment • Childcare

  • Family support closer to where they live.

  • In Sutton we have six hub centres, four access points and one child development centre. A hub centre is open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm, and offers a full range of children's centre services including:

  • Welcome Baby Group

  • Information and advice

  • Health services

  • Housing and benefits advice

  • Activity sessions

  • Family support groups

  • Speech and language groups

To find your nearest children's centre service. www.sutton.gov.uk

Accident and Emergency (A&E)

For serious and life-threatening emergencies, call 999

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness such as choking, breathing difficulties, blacking out, blood loss or if they have swallowed tablets or poisons or have severe abdominal pain.