Worried about a child

Worried about a child

Getting support

Very few adults harm children deliberately and most often, when harm does happen, families need support, not punishment or the removal of their children. Social Workers and other professionals get involved when parents may be unable to protect their child from harm and need some help. In some cases the Police Child Abuse Investigation Teams will work with Social Workers to help protect children and decide whether an offence has been committed.

You can tell us about a child, young person or parent/carer that needs support in some way. This could be about the child's developmental needs, issues that the parent/carer is experiencing, or if you suspect a child is being neglected or subjected to physical, sexual, or emotional abuse. Call the London Borough of Sutton MASH (Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub) on 020 8770 6001 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday or call the out-of-hours or weekend duty team on 020 8770 5000.

Our specialist safeguarding team will then make any enquiries, and contact you again if necessary. Information you supply is held in the strictest of confidence and not disclosed to any party; including those connected to the child you have concerns about.

Abuse at home

When we suspect abuse of a child in our own home, we can react in many different ways. We may feel guilt, anger, disbelief or denial. Some of these reactions can prevent getting help to a child who needs it. You may not tell others because you fear that the child will be at further risk of harm. You may love the person who is causing the harm and not want to believe what is happening. You need to put your child’s safety first.

Other ways to report your concerns

Contact the NSPCC for help if you are unsure whether to report your concerns. Call 0808 800 5000 to speak in confidence, or text anonymously to 88858. If you are worried about a child's school attendance or have any concerns about child employment, you can make an enquiry or report an incident using our online Borough school attendance/child employment enquiry form.


There are many signs of abuse, from physical and emotional injury leading to changes in behaviour.


Make sure your child knows who they can share worries with if and when they need to.


Seek advice about what practical and emotional support is available from schools and children’s centres.